This issue has been pressing me lately, partly because I have frequently heard this statement –
There are multiple religions that exist and are truth. Either that, or there are multiple religions that lead to one heaven.
To this statement, I firmly rebuke it, and there are four reasons to this:
1. Bible is the truth in its entirety
If we believe that the bible is inspired by God, then surely, we cannot ignore what it says.
- “There is no one like Yahweh our God.” Exodus 8:10
- “Yahweh, He is God; there is no other besides Him.” Deuteronomy 4:35
- “Yahweh, He is God in heaven above and on the earth below; there is no other.” Deuteronomy 4:39
- “See now that I, I am He, And there is no god besides Me” Deuteronomy 32:39
- “Hear, O Israel! Yahweh is our God, Yahweh is one!” Deuteronomy 6:4
- “You are great, O Lord God; for there is none like You, and there is no God besides You” 2 Samuel 7:22
- “For who is God, besides Yahweh? And who is a rock, besides our God?” 2 Samuel 22:32
- “Yahweh is God; there is no one else.” 1 Kings 8:60
- “You are the God, You alone of all the kingdoms of the earth.” 2 Kings 19:15
- 10. “O Lord, there is none like You, nor is there any God besides You” 1 Chronicles 17:20
- “Before Me there was no God formed, And there will be none after Me.” Isaiah 43:10
- “‘I am the first and I am the last, And there is no God besides Me.” Isaiah 44:6
- “Surely, God is with you, and there is none else, No other God.” Isaiah 45:14
- “I am Yahweh, and there is none else.” Isaiah 45:18
- “And Yahweh will be king over all the earth; in that day Yahweh will be the only one, and His name the only one.” Zechariah 14:9
- “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.” Matthew 6:24
- “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh”? ” Matthew 19:5
- “”The foremost is, ‘Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is one Lord; ” Mark 12:29
- “you do not seek the glory that is from the one and only God?” John 5:44
- “This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God” John 17:3
- “there is no God but one” 1 Corinthians 8:4
- “yet for us there is but oneGod, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him.” 1 Corinthians 8:6
- “There is one body and one Spirit, one hope, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.” Ephesians 4:4-6
- “For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,” 1 Timothy 2:5
I think we get the picture, and if you don’t, there are more here: http://www.bible.ca/trinity/trinity-oneness-unity-one-god.htm
I am accepting only parts of the bible, but not the whole truth. In doing so, I am declaring the falseness of the bible, and to that effect, the falseness and non-existence of Christianity because I have violated its fundamental truth.
2. The existence of hell
If all religions exist, then why do some religions include hell?
Indeed, some hells are for those who do not believe in the God of that religion, like Christianity. And some hells are for those who do not do ‘enough good’, but why would people be in that ‘hell’ if there are other religions they can turn to, which would let them get to their ‘heaven’?
The purpose of hell is to punish non-believers, but if there are multiple existing religions, then hell would cease to exist.
3. Our mission as Christians
For me, to be Christian AND to believe that other religions exist means that I have not been fated and destined to be a Christian. It’s mere chance.
Following this, it also means that I don’t have to carry out the task that Jesus gave – to spread the gospel. Since other religions exist, I might as well sit back and let non-Christians follow their own beliefs. However, that is clearly not what Jesus has tasked us to do. For all those parables of the harvest, the grape vine, the city of a hill and so many more –
I would simply be a living irony of the gospel.
Some religions state that there are multiple gods and multiple religions. For example, some Hindus believe in Jesus and Mother Mary because this way, there are more paths to heaven. However, Christianity believes that there is only one true God.
If there is an inherent conflict between these two religions, then how would there be multiple paths to heaven?
If all religions were existed, and that each of their heavens and earths existed, then a religion that I make up tomorrow, will jolly well be true.
In this sense, many religions are created by humans (did you know there is a religion called dude-ism? Well, I highly doubt they have a heaven and earth!) and therefore, humans in our finite minds and abilities have absolutely no power to create physical and psychological heavens and earths.
I need not say more – this belief that all religions and that there are many ways to heaven – is simply incoherent, dubious and impractical.
“You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me.”
“Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”